Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: West Woods Camping

Default West Woods Camping

Can anyone tell me about this campsite (formerly known as Satellite Camping) right across the street from Waka? I really like the idea of a cheap, shaded campsite right in the woods. I'm not upset about the distance, its probably just as long of walk that most festivals have, if not possibly shorter haha.
    I really love the Disco Biscuits.

Not much to tell...you pretty much nailed it. It is across the highway from the venue. You walk up a trail through the woods to get back to your camp when you leave the festival grounds, then you reach a little plateau. Probably a little less shade than in the RV Reserved area, but sorta similar. The hill you walk up through the woods is similar to the hill at Clinton Lake.

As it gets closer, I'll post some pictures of this area. Hard to see the shade right now when it's 12 degrees

Haha that is true Pauly. As long is it is good protection against the Arkansas heat, I'm all for it. Not to mention even though its not on the festival grounds itself, its the same kinda walk you would have at Bonnaroo or even Rothbury. Maybe even shorter! haha

Discussed earlier in this thread: http://forum.wakarusa.com/showthread.php?12567

I will cut and paste my post from that thread...
    1) There actually were crossing guards at the hi-way last year.
    2) The hill is about like the "Hill" in Lawrence, which is to say it isn't too bad if you just shut your yapper and walk up it. Sheesh. Its just a hill. jk about the attitude, but it is a bit of a hill.
    3) I visited the area last year and the camping over there was pretty sweet, with the woods and the trees and all. In fact, I am considering camping over there this year, since I like to get away to decompress. Also, consider using the taxi to go up the hill late at night.
    4) Food vendors over there this year! and Regular Camping went up to 99 vs 39 over here. hmmm.....

Pro: It is a bit away from it all.
    Con: It is a bit away from it all
    Pro: The shade is for real

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhonk View Post
    Pro: The shade is for real
    Sold. I'm pretty sure I can deal with a hill.

Something smells of Cylon bawls....
    "Experience isn't what happens to you. It's what you do with what happens." -Aldous Huxley

Sooo tempting. I was pretty upset that my friends paid around $30 - $40 for Primitive Parking last year (2010) which was spacious, and extremely close to where the action was happening, and I paid $90 - $100 for Mainstage Parking, and it was so cramped I had to literally walk on peoples tents, and try to manuever my way like I was dodging lazers just to get to the stuff in my car, there were literally dead-end's where stuff was just too close together and you had to turn around and find another way. No bad vibes, but hopefully it's more organized this year. The extra 60ish dollars was worth the awesome friends we met, but the spiders/snakes/chiggers/bears, etc.. will probably keep me out of the Riverside or West Woods Camping still (
    It's like loading up the universe into a gun, and shooting it directly into your brain.

Gotta say purpleFUNk love that signature quote.. it's a perfect explanation for so many things that happen at waka, I think I'll have to use it.

Side note: some people got smart near the end of the festival last year and moved their tents down the path to the deeper riverside swimming spot. The shade provided by the trees there blocked almost all the sunlight, and their tents were within walking distance of the deeper part of river. Also in the main campground of the riverside camping, there is a treeline on the western side. This basically blocked all evening sunlight, but I wouldnt think that would matter much since most people were on top of the mountain by that time. I think this year we'll be setting up spots on top the mountain and directly near the water in the riverside camping. I'd much rather ride the shuttle to the river to cool off than hike to the overcrowded waterfall spot like last year imho

Default Looking for Westwood camping

Me and some friends really wanna camp at westwood but by the time we got the money together they were out of sites. Can anyone help me? Shoot me an email at jameyboy15@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jameyboy15 View Post
    Me and some friends really wanna camp at westwood but by the time we got the money together they were out of sites. Can anyone help me? Shoot me an email at jameyboy15@yahoo.com
    if you dont get a direct response, try Craigslist in neighboring bigger cities (Tulsa, Ft Smith, KC, OKC, Fayetteville, Little Rock).

Also eBay. I scored a pair of VIP on eBay for way less than face 2 weeks ago...

Happy Hunting and hope we see ya there!
    Kevin

"There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who divide the world into two kinds of people, and those who don't" -Robert Benchley

Waka 07', 08', 09', 10', 11', 12'.