Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please no Marlboro or Camel Cigarette Tents!

Default Please no Marlboro or Camel Cigarette Tents!

Hi,

I LOVE Wakarusa festival. I will go to Waka every year till I'm too old and gray and geriatric to walk down the hill from West Woods. The only part of the festival experience that I didn't like last year was the cigarette tents. I was wondering if other people dislike the cigarette tents as well. Why was the Marlboro tent so close to the main stage? I think it would be wonderful if Wakarusa didn't allow these companies to have a presence at the festival at all. How much money does Marlboro pay WAKA to post up there? No matter how much money they pay, why would WAKA allow such an evil entity on the sacred ground of Mulberry Mountain? Why is Phillip Morris given the opportunity to advocate and promote cigarette smoking at the best festival in the US? You want to smoke cigarettes? Cool. Its your life and you should absolutely be entitled to do that. But I don't want to turn around at the main stage and see a gigantic Marlboro tent. That tent is like a huge festering lung tumor that no amount of coughing will get rid of. Thoughts? Comments on this?

I am generally not a smoker, but to be honest I got a kick out of walking into the Marlboro "building" and cooling off for a bit. It was a very strange feeling walking in there dirty and half naked and getting talked to like I was their number one customer, not to mention the free redbull, t-shirt, and of course the free cigs (Me: Ill have the Marlboro lights, them: Actually we would prefer if you refer to those as Marlboro blues....lol!). Idk, I understand why people wouldn't want them there, but it really does not bother or affect my experience in a negative way.

Yeah, I understand about your feelings on this. I also thought that place was a living toxic bacteria! I too didn't think it was appropriate to have a building of cigarettes and such, but if you go to most festivals they are always there. I have been a smoker on and off for 5 years at around last year's Waka (my first) and I just had quit a few months before then. They asked you before you come in if you are a current smoker, and I was honest and told them, "psst... NO!". So they didn't allow me in! Those b@stards even though I have spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on their products over the years, and they wouldn't let me come in like the rest of the smokers? Well, that's how they are I guess. But this time I do plan on getting in next time as a "smoker" because I'm to the point where even if I have a few cigs, I don't become a smoker anyways. I just think about all the money I save when I'm not. I'll definitely be in there to get a free shirt or whatever they give for free or cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdpowderday View Post
    why would WAKA allow such an evil entity on the sacred ground of Mulberry Mountain? Why is Phillip Morris given the opportunity to advocate and promote cigarette smoking at the best festival in the US? ?

Because we live in the material world, and it's a free country?
    Capitalism isn't perfect, but we all reap the benefits.
    Vote with your checkbook, but we all need a paycheck.

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one." - Bill Moyers

If you wanted to organize an anti-smoking booth, I'll bet you could make that happen with your passion.
    Last edited by ~dave~~wave~; 01-14-2012 at 07:06 PM.
    Cast your dancin' spell my way
    I promise to go under it...

You want to smoke cigarettes? Cool. Its your life and you should absolutely be entitled to do that. But I don't want to turn around at the main stage and see a gigantic Marlboro tent.
    The two thoughts expressed here seem to sort of contradict each other. Someone standing right next to you smoking is alright, but simply seeing a Marlboro tent from a distance is a problem for you?

It goes without saying that a lot of smokers go to Waka, and a lot of them enjoy these tents. Look at the Marlboro tent the same way you'd look at a stage with an artist performing on it whose music you're not into. Even if you're not into it, Waka has plenty of other things to offer. I'm not smoker, but I don't have a problem with the Marlboro tent, mainly because I didn't go in it...

Also, realize that the Marlboro tent, and other sponsors with high visibility, allows Waka to do things like keep tickets at a reasonable price.

I'd say the difference there is that an artist you don't Like plays for 75 minutes. The cig tent is there for 96 hours
    ---------------------------
    If I had a boat, I'd go out on the ocean
    And if I had a pony, I'd ride it on my boat

I don't mind cigarette smoke as long as I am not in close proximity to it. I have many friends who smoke and I don't judge. The Marlboro tent isn't at a distance; it is right in front of the main stage with VIP deck viewing for tobacco smoking people. Having a sponsor like Marlboro seems counter-intuitive to the Wakarusa festival vibe. The tent is the size of a house and impossible to avoid. The Marlboro tent does exactly the same thing as a Venus Fly Trap. The sweet nectar of air conditioning lures you in and then WHAM the jaws of Nicotine addiction engulf you and no amount of Red Bull will help you escape. Experiencing the cigarette tent at Wakarusa for me was like blissfully walking through a field of wildflowers and bending down to smell one only to be stung by a giant Africanized honey bee.

Smoking cigarettes costs the country we love more than $167,000,000,000 every year (lost productivity / smoking-related health care costs) while cigarette companies pay more than $13,000,000,000 in advertising annually.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/r050630.htm

Quote Originally Posted by areyoukind View Post
    I'd say the difference there is that an artist you don't Like plays for 75 minutes. The cig tent is there for 96 hours
    ....and you can spend 0 hours inside the tent, just like you don't have to stay at a set you don't want to see...

I don't mind cigarette smoke as long as I am not in close proximity to it. I have many friends who smoke and I don't judge. The Marlboro tent isn't at a distance; it is right in front of the main stage with VIP deck viewing for tobacco smoking people. Having a sponsor like Marlboro seems counter-intuitive to the Wakarusa festival vibe. The tent is the size of a house and impossible to avoid. The Marlboro tent does exactly the same thing as a Venus Fly Trap. The sweet nectar of air conditioning lures you in and then WHAM the jaws of Nicotine addiction engulf you and no amount of Red Bull will help you escape. Experiencing the cigarette tent at Wakarusa for me was like blissfully walking through a field of wildflowers and bending down to smell one only to be stung by a giant Africanized honey bee.

Smoking cigarettes costs the country we love more than $167,000,000,000 every year (lost productivity / smoking-related health care costs) while cigarette companies pay more than $13,000,000,000 in advertising annually.

http://www.cdc.gov/media/pressrel/r050630.htm
    You lost me when your point basically became a surgeon general's warning. I wasn't making a pro-cigarette argument, nor am I interested in doing so. I managed to avoid the tent, so it can't be "impossible" to do so. And please do explain how having Marlboro as a sponsor is "counter-intuitive to the Wakarusa festival vibe". It's not an anti-smoking festival, and many smokers go, and many people like the cigarette tents. I'd say it's very much in line with Waka's vibe. Maybe it's not compatible with your vibe, and again, the hilariously simple solution there should be to just not go in the tent.
    Last edited by Evul1; 01-15-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Ironic.

So we get rid of the vendors you find personally objectionable, reducing some of the income stream Wakarusa makes, and thereby raising ticket prices for everyone in the future... And then we all move this conversation over to the "why did ticket prices go up thread?"

Hmmm? I'd rather just walk by and laugh at the girls they "dress up"to work the booth...
    Kevin

"There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who divide the world into two kinds of people, and those who don't" -Robert Benchley

Waka 07', 08', 09', 10', 11', 12'.

Tobacco is a healing herb that the Great Spirit imparted to the Native American people a thousand generations ago.
    Capitalist entrepreneurs industrialized it, and millions are addicted, granted.
    If there were small vendors of organic free-range locally grown heritage boutique tobacco, would that be ok?

I've abused beer and pizza to the point that I'm overweight. That's on me.
    I don't ask a ban on food and beer vendors.

I'm going deaf from too much loud music, that's on me.
    I wear earplugs, offer them free to anybody who'll take them.
    I don't demand the fest turn the volume down or post warning signs.
    Last edited by ~dave~~wave~; 01-15-2012 at 03:58 PM. Reason: typo
    Cast your dancin' spell my way
    I promise to go under it...