Thread: Can those little 1 lb. propane canisters be recycled?

Default Can those little 1 lb. propane canisters be recycled?

They pretty much fueled the whole Chompdown and the rest of general camping.
    Now what do I do with the empties?

Punkin?

Anybody?
    Cast your dancin' spell my way
    I promise to go under it...

there's a place here in KC that takes odd refuse/waste, such as empty propane tanks. they will dispose of propane tanks, oil, paint, wood stain, or any other bio-hazard that should not be dumped w/ regular consumer waste. look into it. i'm sure there's a place for you. good luck.

Here's a link to your local Lincoln HHW:

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/healt...f/wstcolec.pdf

I am not sure if they take 'em there, but if not, they might be able to tell you where you can recycle them. Don't put them in the regular trash as once compacted in a trash truck, they can hurt your friendly garbage man or woman. Even empty, they contain residual propane that is very flammable and under pressure.

Good luck! I'll try to find an option here in Larryville, and will post it, if i do.

xopunkin

The Lawrence/Douglas Co. Household Hazardous Waste Facility will take those little 1 lb propane tanks for recycling.

There is no charge for Dg. Co. residents.

Folks can call the city's Waste Reduction & Recycling Division at 785-832-3030 for information on how to make an appointment to drop them off.

Thanks, punkin, good info.

Walmart and everybody else sell hundreds of these things, but like so many things in our society, there is no good plan for disposing of them.

My county won't accept them, they referred me to the local propane dealer, who will only take the big 20 lb tanks for grills, they won't mess with the little ones.

My back up plan is to use the William Burroughs / Hunter S. Thompson disposal method:
    Take them to my buddy's farm and use them for target practice.
    Cast your dancin' spell my way
    I promise to go under it...